Thursday, July 26, 2007

I Hate Goodbyes....


We might have seen Big Tex's last game as a Ranger at the Ballpark last night in a dramatic 7-6 win over the mariners completing a 4 game sweep of Seattle.

With the trade deadline fast approaching next Tuesday, some of the rumored trade partners are beginning to become clearer....Evan Grant wrote about that this morning....

The Braves and Dodgers have been getting the most play of late and I think that both teams have the need at firstbase, and that each clubs farm system (historically) tends to produce talent on a regular basis, especially in the area of pitching.

I know that some of you have grown to appreciate Tex and what he has done here putting up nice numbers, being a nice guy for the most part, and winning a few gold gloves....however the reality of the situation is that he does not want to be a Ranger....and his agent doesn't negotiate with his clients existing teams all that often. Even if we did keep him through the end of next season, he would walk away so fast it would be ridiculous and Texas would be left here with a suitcase full of nothing....they need to trade the guy and get some REAL TALENT back, and I don't mean another Brad Wilerson type....you hear that JD??

A sweeping success over the Mariners.....
Ramon Vasquez helping the Rangers hand M's closer J.J.Putz his 1st blown save of the year, as the Texas utility infielder belted a 2 run blast in the 8th to give the Rangers a 7-6 W.....Joaquin Benoit got touched up in the 8th after an impressive string of 18 and 2/3's and 14 appearances without allowing a run....the righthander came back to pitch a perfect 9th which is good to see, especially if he is a name that the team will try to move before next Tuesday.....Once again out of the 9 spot young Travis Metcalf showing that he is not just a defensive 3rdbaseman as he goes 2 for 4, giving him a 9 for 15 series against Seattle, and more importantly he is getting the AB's and the confidence to stick here in the bigs....Hank who?.....

Things will naturally be interesting over the next 5 days as we hold our breath and hope that Jon Daniles doesn't pull another bad trade....I really like JD and I hope that he can get the next few right, and help this team improve in the long run....Now a 9 game roadtrip awaits the Rangers, the Royals are 1st up....crazy to think this club could realistically be 6 or 7 games under .500 by the trade deadline.




I know that A-Rod used the Rangers like ditsy prom date, but this guy is just awesome.....He is 1 A-bomb away from the 500 club after last night....

Say what you will about Alex....at least he gives us the hope of passing Barry Bonds eventual Homerun record one day in the future....Just sick to imagine how many this guy could end up with when it's all said and done....oh yeah he just turned 32....If baseball is going to pay someone 30 million a year, he is my pick. Granted nobody should make that kind of money to play baseball, but find me a better player....

Curt Schilling decided to rip Bonds and McGwire....Schilling usually beats me to hear him talk, but I do like it when steroid users are thrown under the bus...he spoke on "Costas Now", which is on HBO....if you for whatever reason do not have the cable network I question you, it might be the best TV network us humans have created.....

I know that bseball probably give some of you tired head so i guess we can move on to The Cowboys....



Training camp up and flying in San Antonio with the team's 1st practice yesterday and it was not without bad news....Apparently the disgruntled Greg Ellis came up injured.....not good news. I know that Anthony Spencer is thought to be another savior at linebacker for this team, but Ellis is damn good when he is healthy and if this is a serious relapse of his achilles it will hurt the defense, even under the 'new 3-4'.....

The attitude is overall good right now in San Antonio as it should be with most teams after one day of practice....I know that everyone's expectations of Dallas this year are very high and probably for good reason, but I can't help but have these lingering doubts about this thing in the back of my head....There is a reason Jerry doesn't want to pay Tony Romo yet....One injury on the offensive line puts the line back to where it has been for the last 3 plus seasons....and I guess we all forget that the Boys secondary, outside of terrance Newman, basically sucked last season. And Seahawk fans are quick to tell you that Hamlin is not a cure-all....

Just a few initial fears, but I think we should all just be happy for now and appreciate that football is finally back.....

And while football is the topic let us tip our hats to an NFL great that will probably be under appreciated in the years to come, as Curtis Martin has decided to finally retire.....





This makes me happy in the Mavs-pants

I really think that this kid can play some pointguard and get some significant minutes in the NBA....we have all heard the analogy of the undersized linebacker in football that just knows how to make plays....well that is what J.J. Barea is in basketball, and I think he could provide the Mavs with a solid back-up PG....If you have been watching him in the summer leagues you know exactly what I am talking about.....


I fully realize that there are a number of things on the sports-spectrum that I failed to get to this morning,like the Cotton Bowl talking with the BCS but I-35 traffic is not fun and I don't feel like being late to the office today....

Before I depart this Thursday I think I will treat you all to a little Dylan....enjoy....

4 comments:

Jake said...

Wonder if Ellis will get his talk with Jerry now. Maybe he can whine his way out of injury.

I hate me some ARod but if he can beat Bonds record he'll become tolerable. Though at the same time I wish the Griffey curse on him ala Grant Hill.

fickle said...

$10 says that the violin has grooming issues.

Uwe said...

Love the Dylan. But I think everyone needs to slow down on J.J. Barea. For one, he's doing all this in SUMMER LEAGUE. Scoring 20 on undrafted free agents from the Sonics is one thing, doing the same against Deron Williams in Utah in March is another.

Plus, we spent many, many years trying to shed this all-offense, soft image in Dallas and now all we want are soft scorers who play no defense. He's an OK piece, could eat up 5 minutes in meaningless game, but let's get our hopes up.

Flaco said...

I too hate a-rod, but every home run he hits is a good thing.

I hope he hits 280 more, all in losing causes for the yankees.