Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Let's Guard Him This Time



Kobe is back in town … The Mavericks are much, much better than they have been I think…But, if you are serious about being taken serious, prove you can guard Kobe a bit…He thinks he owns you, Mavericks. And so does everyone who has seem him play you…Mix in a stop…

Clemens to the Rangers? …Let’s examine the possibilities…


If the Rangers sign Roger Clemens, they will sell more tickets to games he pitches and a lot of Clemens jerseys. But the biggest revenue boost by far would come if he helps the team make the playoffs, as he did in Houston.

In 2004, Clemens' first season with the Astros, the club increased attendance by 630,000.

Doing the same thing in Arlington this year would generate more than $18 million in extra ticket, concession, merchandise and parking revenue for the Rangers, according to an analysis by The Dallas Morning News. As a fan magnet, other than a new stadium, nothing beats winning, sports business experts say.


Montana and Bradshaw – Sorry? ….


When the NFL unveiled its MVPs from the previous 39 Super Bowls, only three living members skipped the ceremony.

Former 49ers quarterback Joe Montana and former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw decided to stay home, while former Dolphins MVP Jake Scott was traveling in Australia.

Montana, the league's only three-time Super Bowl MVP, and Bradshaw reportedly turned down the invitation over money.

Both denied the reports.

In a phone interview with "Quite Frankly" host Stephen A. Smith on Monday night, Montana vehemently denied forgoing the ceremony over money and reiterated that his absence was due to his preference to see his son's basketball game.




Marquis Daniels’ tattoos are fascinating to me …I wonder if I could pull this look off…



Looks like Psalm 91 to me...

If you still haven’t seen Dan and Michael Irvin shirtless here is your chance

I have not read this yet. But, I am willing to promise this will be great: Bill Simmons – The Sports Guy – does his Super Bowl diary

Texas beats poor Texas Tech …Red Raiders are strug-gel-ling…


They're a very good basketball team," Texas Tech coach Bob Knight said. "We're not a very good basketball team."

Knight, who fell to 2-9 against Texas in his five seasons as coach of the Red Raiders, said Tucker's quickness and enthusiasm make him an asset.

"Tucker is impressive without his basketball skills because he's one of those guys that makes other people play better," Knight said. "Tucker has the kind of enthusiasm that Ronald Ross has."

Ross was the court leader for the Red Raiders last season, and they have struggled to replace him.


I have no idea what to make of this: Kenny Cooper leaves Manchester United for FC Dallas …The obvious question is “why?”. I assume he saw he was out of his league there, and wanted to get somewhere where he could play well, but I hate to pass judgment on a guy I know nothing about. Let’s hope this is a nice signing for the locals. I also hear Carlos Ruiz is in the bag again for the locals…


Cooper, 21, the son of former Dallas Tornado goalkeeper Ken Cooper Sr., was signed Monday to a multiyear contract as a free transfer. He obtained his release from English soccer power Manchester United, where he spent 2 ½ years in the developmental reserve program. For any player, let alone an American, to voluntarily leave Man U for MLS qualifies as a surprise.

"At this time in my life, I really felt it was the best thing to do and a great situation for me," said Cooper, who described Manchester United as a first-class organization. "It's a personal choice. I was ecstatic to hear there was interest in me to come back. I jumped at it right away."

Cooper will have a chance to play immediately instead of possibly waiting years for a chance with Manchester United.

FC Dallas coach Colin Clarke scouted Cooper three times in the last 18 months, once sleeping in his car on a trip to Blackpool, England. He praised Cooper's skill and size and described him as a strong finisher.

"It is a big deal," Clarke said. "Normally the good players are going the other way [to Europe]. Now we have a chance to bring one back from Manchester United and actually balance it."


Jason Terry has a rap group, and here they are

Details on the new Borat movie

Star Jones eats a football



Remember the random football card of the day feature on this blog? I did it last spring, and I may need to bring it back. Well, today I looked for a card featuring the diminutive Mack Herron (#42 above), and I am not sure one exists. Herron is my latest football curiosity based on my viewing of the NFL Films DVD of 1974 in review. Who is Mack Herron?

And finally, this:


Alright man ....You're brought this Up Dog trick to the masses and it's spreading FAST here in Dallas. I work a 2nd job at Blockbuster during the evening ...and last night I had a scheduled shift. So I get to work, head to the back to punch in ....and the first thing my boss does is start sniffing the air as if something just died. He's like "What's that smell....?" I look around to see if any dirty people were close by ...but there weren't. So I say, "Well, what's it smell like?" He's still acting as if he is breathing in the smell of spoiled milk when he says "Smells like Up Dog". At that point, I just started laughing and he was like "What?" ...and I said "You listen to Bob and Dan, don't you?" He said "Who's that?" I told him that they were hosts on a sports talk radio station, and that's more than likely where he heard that joke. He said that he had heard it from a buddy the night before and thought it was the best thing ever. And apparently it had gotten around already to other people, because when I told my boss where it came from he pulled a couple other fellow employees aside to let them in on where it started .... Just letting you know, that you're quickly becoming a legend around here ...(if you weren't already one before).

Stay long & hard, babyarm
P1- Ryan Norris



Blushing.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know Bob has been running the updog bit into the ground.However he need to cite the Office for brining it back to relevance. Also Bob should be shot for making every white middle manager think he is funny when he drops it in a meeting

Anonymous said...

nothing on the star's win last night?

Sturminator said...

2 Cubicles: Please check last Thursday's blog for what you so desired.

Anonymous said...

Do more people in Dallas

a: Watch "The Office"

or

b: Never listen to BaD Radio


I say c: both.

What's up, dog?

Anonymous said...

i love the updog bit. i liked the henweigh variation. i think it'd be a great running bit to change it up some for all your guests on the show.

it's such a good feeling when you can pull off the updog successfully.

Anonymous said...

bob, that updog trick has been around for years, i think you're taking false claim....

Anonymous said...

Ok, I know Bob gave credit to The Office last week, but people, please, let's not be so narrow minded. I love BaD as much as anyone, but I'm going to assume the majority of the metroplex was re-introduced to UpDog through The Office.

BTW, did I miss the episode where Bob admitted he enjoyed the American Office? I swear last year he was panning it.

Now can we please stop beating a dying horse?

Anonymous said...

Look people! Bob NEVER tried to take credit for the Up Dog bit.

The first time he did it, during WTDS, he IMMEDIATELY said he saw it on the previous Office episode.

So don't lay this "false credit" crap on him, because he's never done it.

Anonymous said...

MrSimic,

The NFL invited Martin, but they wouldn't pay the fee to dig him up...


And NOTHING on the Stars from last night??? I thought for sure we would see a: "Billy Guerin is still great" story this morning

Anonymous said...

scoreboarding with that e-mail = taking false credit

Anonymous said...

Baby Arm, I Never Listen to Bad Radio, Popcorn trick, Blow Me Up and now......Up Dog.

Thank you BaD Radio for making sure that the Mexiplex and it's members will NEVER completely understand the English Language.

And you wonder why you don't get more of the latino's to listen. On the other hand, maybe the Up Dog bit should be on the citizenship test!!

Anonymous said...

Watching the Tech game last night made me question how good Bob Knight has been for the Tech basketball team. He's 2-9 vs. Texas in his 5 years here and his team consistently disappears early in the NCAA tourney. He seems like he's one of those coaches that's never going to be as good as he once was and will be the consummate "20 wins and a NCAA berth but nothing more" coach until he retires/dies. Seems like he's living off past glory.

By the way, Duke is getting a foul called on them tonight.
http://ragingdad.servehttp.com:8080/foul_to_be_called_on_duke

Good satire if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

As a Tech homer. I'll take what Knight can give us. We don't exactly have a Duke type tradition out in Lubbock and we aren't expecting him to win National Championships. One thing about Tech, they truly know what they are and do the best they can with what they have.

I mean, what other school can claim the personalities of Mike Leach and Bob Knight?

Anonymous said...

Granted, my vision is skewed by being a Longhorn fan(especially with our success as of late), but I'd think people would eventually start grumbling if Tech doesn't start beating their 'rivals' on a regular basis. I wonder how much his name gives him a free pass. I mean, if his name was Joe Smith and he was 2-9 against Texas, would Tech fans take it so well? Are you that resigned to your fate, or am I overestimating how much Tech fans care about basketball?

Anonymous said...

Yes, I believe you are overestimating our interest. We have football season, off season training, spring practice and then football season again.

Don't mess with perfection.

Anonymous said...

What is the baby arm thing? I am fairly new to the ticket and dont really get it. I heard Dan say it last week and didnt know what he was talking about. Thanks for the help.


MJ

Anonymous said...

If you had seen the original british version of the office, you pretty much agreed that season one of the US version sucked. They tried to mirror the original too closely. The US version has really come into its own this season. I think I would even put it on par with the original, and that is really saying something.

Anonymous said...

Sir! As the PBOGBR, you never:

-- "Blush" (kinda gay as well, now that I think about it)
-- Show modesty
-- Give in
-- And worst of all, admit you are wrong!

Get it straight!

Anonymous said...

baby arm is another way of saying bye or see you later. gordo came up with the bit. an actual baby arm is and adult with a baby arm

Anonymous said...

I think it is just fine that Bob left a discussion of the Stars' performance off today's blog... especially any mention of Guerin and/or Ninnimaa. Let's see those two string together TWO or THREE solid games before we hitch any wagons up for the band.

And the first season of the American Office was just fine... I still think the racial sensitivity training episode is one of their best.

Pam (to Dwight with a sign reading "Asian" on his forehead) - "_I_ don't personally believe this, but some people say that you make lousy drivers"

Dwight - "I'm a WOMAN?!?!"

Anonymous said...

It is probably more accurate to say that Kenny Cooper was released by Manchester United.

http://www.manutd.com/news/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=299769&itype=466&icategoryid=120

Anonymous said...

the updog episode was just a couple of weeks ago, which was the day beofer Bob started the bit

Anonymous said...

anon 1:15--

but did you ever see the british version? if you did you'd know that the original did that episode better

Unknown said...

Since babyarm is once again a topic for discussion, it reminds me of an incident I heard on Sporting News Radio a couple of months ago.
The generic host was taking calls and took one call in particular from a guy from Dallas. I forget the exact topic, but the caller worked the term "babyarm" into a sentence. Generic Host hung up on him promptly and proceeded to hate on the Ticket. It's cool to see how far and wide Ticket ownage has spread...especially when it is at the expense of Sporting News Radio.

Anonymous said...

My favorite Marquis tattoo is the dude shooting himself in the head with as shotgun. Only the strong survive!