Saturday, March 05, 2005

Rolando Blackman Rules

Today’s Feature Email from Bernie in Colorado:


Hey Bob:

The Tom Landry card is great, thanks for posting that up on your Blog. I'm not a Cowboy fan at all, but love the classics.

That's why, when my 3-year-old daughter insists on watching the ambiguously gay "Bear in the Big Blue House" on The Disney Channel, I have my year-and-half-old son with me in another room watching the 1997 Nebraska-Missouri game (the 'Flea Kicker' game where NU scores on the games final play on a fluke).

Anyway, you all did a terrific interview with former Mav great Rolando Blackman a while back, and I remembered this great SI Cover from Ro's college days, when this jumper upset the top ranked team (at the time) in the country.

I'm sure you've seen it before, it's just such a great shot, I thought I'd send it to you. Good times.... and thanks for the memories.

Bernie in Colorado




How sweet is that picture? Check out those Converse Kicks that Ro is rocking. Nice. #22 needs to pull his socks up.

Bought another football card today off Ebay as I try to complete the 1972 Topps Set. Am I a nerd, ladies?



Ah yes, only $6.76 for Joe Namath. Good times. Money well spent. Ebay = Garage Sales without the Garages.


A Few Links: (Lest I remind you that the weekend blog is merely a quick hit)

Mavs suck versus the Lakers ….Please let me know when it is ok to knee-jerk about the KVH trade ….

ESPN says goodbye to the great Chuck Wilson

10 greatest college basketball coaches of all-time ….And yes, in this PC world, they included 2 women’s basketball coaches, which almost renders the list null and void…

Free Stanley!

Gosh, Liverpool Sucks! Newcastle 1, Liverpool 0 …so, why do I watch them every week?

The Nextel Boys are off this weekend, but the Busch boys are in Mexico

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand your card obsession. I have a lifelong goal of completing a 1971 Topps baseball set. Oh, I'm only about 25% there but hey, I have a lifetime to finish it.

I remember when I was in college, there was one sports card shop in town. I'd spend hours in that shop looking through cards. I'd spend hours and leave spending a buck-fifty. It was great.

The list of all-time great coaches is a joke. Geno Auriemma and Pat Summitt coach in a sport where the greatest talent is top-heavy...so to speak. A few schools get the most talented players...the talent gap in the women's game is much broader than in the men's. To say these two coaches' accomplishments are greater than Roy Williams' is a freakin' insult.

You watch Liverpool because you have to. I watched my team, Leeds, all the way to relegation. But I just can't wake up one day and say "oh, I'm an Aston Villa fan now!" That's what I love about European football. Your commitment is tested every year just as the players' are. And to be a true fan, you had better pass.